Ingredients for a successful 3D Pen Project:
- 3D pen
- 3D pen power supply/3D pen stand
- PLA (poly lactic acid) filament
- Sketch or idea for cool project
Recipe for success:
- Plug in power cord to top of pen.
- Then press the extrude down button to start the pen to warming for PLA.
- When the bottom light changes from blinking to green, the pen is ready to use.
- Then insert filament.
- The pen will melt the filament and be ready to extrude shortly.
Recommendations for beginner 3D artists:
- Start with a 2D sketch. Either free handing or by tracing a sketch.
- Press the extrude button and slowly move the pen across the surface to lay down a line of filament. Hold the pen close to the paper so the melted filament is applied to the surface before cooled.
- At junctions, the end of a line, and turns, pause for a micro-moment to allow the filament to cool before continuing.
- To connect two lines, hold the pen over the junction for long enough for the heat to fuse the two lines together.
- Continue adding lines till your sketch is complete.
- When finished, pull your sketch off of the paper. Use scissors to trim any unsightly edges.
- Plan your 3D sketch in 2D steps.
- Complete the 2D sketch using the instructions above.
- Hold each 2D sketches up and connect them together.
- Add more filament as needed to strengthen your joints.
- Start with a drop of filament to make an anchor point.
- Move the pen in the perfect timing.
- Good luck with getting the timing right for movement.
- Expect to spend a lot of time practicing.
- Never give up. Never surrender.
If you want these instructions in video form, check out: http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printing-Pen-Tutorial/