Board Meeting 2022-03-17

From MakeICT Wiki
Revision as of 11:05, 9 June 2022 by Brad Cozine (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "Ralph" to "Saga")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search



Board Members

  • James Lancaster, Secretary
  • Anna DiSalvo, At-Large
  • Jai Chauhan, President
  • David Hanson, At-Large
  • Rustin Atkeisson, Vice-President
  • Doug Wilson, At-Large
  • Aaron Rivers, At-Large
  • Beverly Schellenger, Treasurer, Late



  • Steve Owens
  • LaDeana Dockery
  • David Springs
  • Ethan Doak
  • Patrick Hutchison
  • Gary Titus
  • Malissa Long

Standing Items

  • Thanks & Recognition
  • Patrick thanking Facilities for door closers
  • 2nd coat epoxy on welcome
  • ComicCon Volunteers (Rusty, LaDeana, Brad - ???)
  • David thanking Rustin for ComicCon and Ren fair, Brad for helping with various things around space
  • Garden Committee for cleaning up garden. - Jai
  • Michael Atherton for teaching a bunch of amazing jewelry classes. - Doug Wilson

Old Business

COVID Mask Policy Discussion / Update - All

  • Prior meetings:
  • MakeICT in light of the Omicron spikes requires that all people in the building in groups of 2 or more wear a mask.
  • Aaron suggests to remove all mask requests or requirements unless instructor requests.
  • Aaron: No requirement to wear masks unless instructor requires during classes and accepts suggestions.
  • Jai suggests: MakeICT has no requirement to wear masks. However, MakeICT reserves the right to require mask wearing during indoor scheduled group activities at the discretion of the activity organizer with advance notice.
  • Discussion of who is the person who can make that request.
  • Aaron seconds
  • Question about existing events. No current events were scheduled with the idea of masks or not. Could send out emails with regards.

@TODO LaDeana will see about reaching out to the instructors. @TODO Malissa volunteers to setup emails to participants

  • VOTING: 5 in favor, 1 opposed, 2 absent or not voting.

@DECISION: MakeICT has no requirement to wear masks. However, MakeICT reserves the right to require mask wearing during indoor scheduled group activities at the discretion of the activity organizer with advance notice.

Name alignment between various locations - Jai

  • Prior:
    • Has not been done with the KS SOS office yet.
      • Nothing since that

Revise Committee Policy - James

  • Currently our policy is both out with regards to practice and enforcement.
  • Multiple groups have suggested that either an email list or a forum would work better than meetings.
  • Jai motions to have Malissa Long and James Lancaster as well as anyone else interested to edit and return a comprehensive committee policy proposal to the board at least 1 week before the next board meeting. To be voted on April 21st board meeting.
  • David Seconds
  • 7 in favor 0 opposed 1 not voting

@DECISION: Malissa Long and James Lancaster as well as anyone else interested to edit and return a comprehensive committee policy proposal to the board at least 1 week before the next board meeting. To be voted on April 21st board meeting.


    • Prior:
      • Require people to resubmit the access policies?
      • Designate what that class is for any authorizations.
      • Patrick will bring this up at the next area lead meeting.
      • Doug mentions possibly making/giving stickers
      • Badge reader with name/active and authorization (Would be cool based with Patrick)
        • Mention of the wiki and issues with it being public
        • Couple of ideas with regard to it being public or non-public, as a general list
        • Emergency contact lookup, in an emergency would not be germane as 911 would be the call.
        • Authorization for tool maintenance? Aaron will bring up at Area Leads meeting.
          • Revisit authorizations for tools? (Specifically CNC tools, cnc sublead?)
    • At area lead meeting most of this was discussed, some not, as people were not there. Prototype of authorization lookup working.
    • As of the 10th haven't had review/new access policies sent to Secretary
  • Discussions below were out of order.

Jai makes a motion to accept the Print Shop Vote: 7 in favor, 0 against, 1 not voting. @DECISION: Adopt updated Print Shop Access Policy, including new authorization and fees

  • Motion: Anyone who has already taken the screenprinting class is authorized under the current rules.
  • James calls for a vote by acclamation, Rusty seconds
    • @decision no objection.

@DECISION: All who have taken the printshop class are authorized

@todo James: Add authorization to all people who have taken the screenprinting class.

    • Ceramics Access Policy**
      • Revisions / updates to the Ceramics wiki were made in advance of the board meeting, mostly just removing references to things that were specific to Douglas. No changes were recommended by the Area Lead to access policies which are covered in these three sections on the wiki: Ceramics Studio Access Policy, Peer Authorization, or Kiln Authorization.

  • At the next board meeting the board would like to have Woodshop, Fablab, ERP, and Textiles present updated access policies to the next board meeting.

New Business

Treasurer’s Report - Bev

  • Property tax was misclassified. Should be lower, will not get a refund.
  • Slight positive.
  • @todo: James, Malissa, Bev, Jai: Figure out what’s going on with one account.

Area Reports

  • Meeting Notes from Monday the 14th

Committee Reports

Awards Committee & Donor Wall - Jai

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Classroom Management Committee - LaDeana Dockery

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd and 4th Thursday @ 8pm)
  • Last meeting 8 March 2022

@DECISION: Open House will charge a $10 booth fee only

Maker May I would like to have an outdoor vendor Event June 4th 10-2. We would have 30 makers and preview one maker each day on our social media leading up to the event. We would need to plan this out over the next 3 week, solicit makers over the month of April, and start promotion May 1st. I would follow the state rules for vending and use our current contract with some modifications. I would charge $50 per vendor up to 30 vendors. I would like 33% of the proceeds to cover my time to create and promote on social media, with a maximum of $500 to me. If we get 30 vendors the take for the space would be $1000.

  • Full Compensation would be contingent on there being 30.
  • This would be under it’s own approval and not under the consignment policy.
  • Contingent on permit & zoning
  • Plan on weather/contract
  • Mention of Farmer’s Markets (Note on Zoning needing to be checked)

@todo Malissa will call about permits

  • Doug motions to approve the tentative event that’s been brought to the board (Maker May hosted on June 4th) as above.
    • Dave seconds
      • Vote by acclimation: No objections Motion carries

@DECISION: Maker May event approved to be held as above

Communications (and Wikibrarian) - Malissa Long

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: 4th Wednesday @ 6:30 pm)

No one else attended the meeting. At the area leads meeting it was suggested this become social media or PR and we have a separate communications committee that included the newsletter.

Events Committee - X

  • See above (Classroom Management Committee)

Facilities Committee - Saga Romig

  • On Calendar Tuesday 6:30
  • All door closers have all been installed with the exception of the one on the kiln door.
  • Welcome center counter has been completed.
  • We are currently working on the entryway and doors.
  • The handicap stalls in the Men’s and Women’s restrooms have been marked as Out Of Order. We are going to need to auger the sewer drain, as they keep getting clogged.
  • We still need to replace the toilet in the North ADA bathroom.

Finance Committee - Dan Kries

  • 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30 (Is this correct? - schedule dependent, may change)
  • Has not been posted on public calendar.
  • Did meet. Discussed long term planning. Jai has notes to post.
  • Discussing what we should do with the loan payment money after the loan is paid off.
  • Idea is to allocate $1,000/month to shops, $1,200/to operating reserve until 3 months operating costs are on hand.
    • After that, roof, air conditioning and a road/parking.

Forge Committee - James Seymour/Mike Atherton

  • No meeting on calendar
  • Remove?
  • Last project: Belt Grinder
  • Possibly someone else interested will be at next member orientation

Fundraising - Ethan Doak

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 1st Friday @ 7pm)
  • Last meeting: Talk with person who does fundraising professionally
    • Will try to meet with them before March 12th.
  • A grant writer reached out.

Lounge/Breakroom - David Mendoza

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Letterpress - David Springs

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • Working on installing parts, and setting up power.

Garden - Sean Sandefur

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd & 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • WIll have a meeting this saturday (March 19th) at 1pm

IT - Tom Bloom

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • Accepted a donation of a bunch of computers for possible classroom setup. Researching power issues for possibly setting up the computers in Classroom 2.

Inventory - Anna DiSalvo/Wallis Mead

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 6pm)

-No meeting held this month due to no shows -James and Anna were in the space on Feb 26th

   -James worked on entering donated desktops into the inventory system

-Anna updated inventory of remaining items in room 4 and a list will be compiled of items to be purged with first pick being offered to other areas of the space/leads

Membership (and Community Outreach) - Jai

Membership as of 2021-03-17: 460 (plus 2 donors)

  • Could always use help with maker mondays
  • Area Leads - please work on your elevator pitch, limit it to under 3 minutes!

Outreach (and Education) - LaDeana Dockery

  • See Classroom above.
  • Ren faire coming up.
    • Trying to help others setup.

Scholarships - x

  • Per July decision will be handled by Finance.
  • 4 scholarships on autopay.
  • Considering (not currently proposed): Jai will email them and let them know that scholarships are going to be ending and let them know what their options are.
  • Finance has worked on a reworked policy that will be brought to a future board meeting to clean up the process and resolve some long standing issues with recurring payments that can’t be modified.
  • Had also received a request for membership gift card for KETCH event at Mark Arts:
    • Aaron motions to give 2 ea 3 month memberships for silent auction at non-profit. (Membership after been started, non transferable)
      • Yays: 6 0 No, 1 not present and 1 not voting

@decision Gift for 2 3 month memberships approved.

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman/David Springs

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • Nothing new. No alarms or anything like that to report.
  • UPS was fixed.(Jai is sincerely thankful)

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - x

  • See Events

Welcome Center - Angel

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Other Items Discussed

Past Events

Upcoming Events

  • Maker Monday
    • 2nd and 4th Mondays
  • Member Orientation

Sat 4/9 2:30 Tues 4/19 6:00

Decision Summary

    Task Summary