Board Meeting 2022-01-20

From MakeICT Wiki
(Redirected from 20 January 2022)
Jump to navigationJump to search




Board Members

  • Aaron Rivers, At-Large
  • James Lancaster, Secretary
  • Anna DiSalvo, At-Large
  • Rustin Atkeisson, Vice-President
  • Jai Chauhan, President
  • Beverly Schellenger, Treasurer
  • Doug Wilson, At-Large


  • David Hanson, At-Large


  • Patrick Hutchison
  • Jeremiah Burian
  • David Springs
  • Ethan Doak
  • Steve Owens

Standing Items

  • Thanks & Recognition
    • Dean Day and Rustin for support of setting up the jewelry lab and Facilities for the new display case. – Jewelry (from Michael Atherton)
    • People who came out and helped clean up.
    • Everyone who helped during Covid - Aaron

Old Business

COVID Mask Policy Discussion / Update - All

  • Jai suggests masking all the time in the space.
  • MakeICT in light of the omicron surge and spike in daily cases requires that all people entering the building wear a mask for the duration of their stay. Signs will be posted.

Rusin seconds, Vote by acclamation none opposed.

@DECISION: MakeICT in light of the omicron surge and spike in daily cases requires that all people entering the building wear a mask for the duration of their stay. Signs will be posted.

Name alignment between various locations - Jai

  • Prior:
    • Has not been done with the KS SOS office yet.
      • Nothing new to report

@TODO (Jai and Bev, no date): Name changes.

Request for using the space - Brian

@TODO (Jai, no date): Reach back out to see about status, as can't talk to Insurance without a proposal.

Communication issues - James

  • Communication problems between board and committees and between them.
    • In committee policy

Revise Committee Policy - James

@TODO (James, no date): Send email to review the policy proposal before.


    • Require people to resubmit the access policies?
    • Designate what that class is for any authorizations.
    • Patrick will bring this up at the next area lead meeting.
    • Doug mentions possibly making/giving stickers
    • Badge reader with name/active and authorization (Would be cool based with Patrick)
      • Mention of the wiki and issues with it being public
      • Couple of ideas with regard to it being public or non-public, as a general list
      • Emergency contact lookup, in an emergency would not be germane as 911 would be the call.
      • Authorization for tool maintenance? Aaron will bring up at Area Leads meeting.
        • Revisit authorizations for tools? (Specifically CNC tools, cnc sublead?)

New Business

Treasurer’s Report - Bev

Area Reports

Area leads were appointed by the board at the membership meeting.

  • Open House idea with the South Kansas Woodturners
    • Proposed date is around the 3rd Saturday in March
    • Covid
      • Prep work would mostly be needed in any case
      • Would be under events.
      • ICT Comic Con and other events are also in a similar timeframe.

  • Woodshop
    • Work Done:
      • Planer table height adjustment tuned adequately
      • Planer blades replaced; all edges were used and a breakage event forced the issue.
      • Crack in dust collector exhaust housing discovered during cleaning. Fixed by Doug Wilson and myself.
      • Jerry Carpenter adjusted jointer when severe outfeed table alignment was reported.
      • Doug Wilson adjusted planer table roller when feed issues were reported.
      • Doug Wilson Taking over safety classes this month.
      • Brad Cozine has been helping with Shopbot and related planning.
    • Issues:
      • Planer damage-event:
      • Someone had an “explosive” event while using the planer. This resulted in a great deal of wood chips to clog the dust collection port and machine internals, large chips to be strewn literally from one end of the room to the other, and damage to planer knives.
      • The issue is the likely result of ill advised or outright unsafe use. A very hard wood species, Osage Orange, was being planed to about 1/4 x 1-1/14 inches which is near the limits of safe operation, and may have been run on-edge which is a flagrantly dangerous operation with such a small workpiece. In addition, there were portions where knots composed the entire cross-section of the material which is likely to cause problems if run into with any tool featuring a rotating blade and would have presented significant risk of injury with the jointer and possibly routers.
      • The most concerning aspect of the event is that no one reported the issue. Treating issues with prompt and serious respect is crucial in promoting all our safety as well as the best operation and longevity of our tools. If anything happens that arouses suspicion of improper function in the operation or appearance of a tool please do not hesitate to call the area lead, post to the forum, and seek qualified individuals on site. IMO, if you have reason to believe a tool is unsafe, please lock it out: it is better to err on the side of caution.
      • Perhaps a piece on this in the Newsletter?
      • Area Lead is down with Covid. I hope to be able to return next week.
    • Plans
      • Safety and tool usage Signage
      • Repositioning, tuning, and making enhancements to Shopbot.
      • Dust Collection in shop bot room.
      • Further organizational and tool maintenance work. (to be detailed in forums)
      • New Miter Bench
    • Asks:
      • The woodshop would like to requisition the motor from the Powermatic table saw for the purpose of building a second dust collector.
        • Dust is a serious issue in both shops.
        • With this motor and materials which could be bought in phases coinciding with the construction of the collector a really great system could be made that would provide suction at the source of every tool in the table saw room simultaneously without the need for blastgates. It would be easier more consistent and more effective collection.
        • By moving the existing collector, it would improve the shopbot dust collection.
        • A comparable commercial collector would cost $7,000
      • It would create an opportunity for inter-area cooperation involving the woodshop, hot metals, milling, the tormach, erp, fab-lab, and even silk screening.
        • The woodshop would love money, but be willing to do fundraising towards this goal.
        • I have Dave Hanson’s permission to express his approval of this plan in his absence.
      • Board approved making plans for consideration using the motor asked for. Aaron will bring detailed plans before the board next month.
  • Ceramics - Patrick H
    • Have several classes on the calendar, including two different instructors offering intro level wheel classes which is fantastic.
    • Firings are going well. Still waiting on the final replacement element to ship (thank you COVID).
    • Cleanup day was great for the studio.
    • Devin has got his slip casting table cleaned up and in working order, so slip casting classes are on the horizon.
    • Fantastic new glaze sample cups made by Scott are up and fresh labeling is in place with better descriptions.
    • Patrick is hoping to work on the dip glazing counter / station over spring break while on vacation.

Committee Reports

Awards Committee & Donor Wall - Jai

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • Last meeting Jan 4th at 7pm at welcome center
    • Not much to report
    • Member payment/donation boxes were moved to near door. (Signs will be posted later, Roy, Joe and Steve Owens moved them.)
    • Will be looking for original awards plaques

Classroom Management Committee - LaDeana Dockery

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd and 4th Thursday @ 8pm)

Communications (and Wikibrarian) - Malissa Long

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: 4th Wednesday @ 6:30 pm)
  • Last meeting 2022-12-22
  • Not much
    • Request to do $250 advertising in budget
      • Send request to treasurer to use the existing $200 budget.
    • Was suggested by Area Lead for the description and name of committee be updated to reflect what board wants and what actually comes out of committee

Events Committee - X

  • See above (Classroom Management Committee)

Facilities Committee - Saga Romig

  • On Calendar Tuesday 6:30
  • Fixed issue of condensation

Finance Committee - Dan Kries

  • 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30 (Is this correct? - schedule dependent, may change)
  • Would like to explore professional bookkeeping

Forge Committee - James Seymour/Mike Atherton

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 7pm)

Fundraising - Ethan Doak

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 1st Friday @ 7pm)
  • Short meeting, nothing much.

Lounge/Breakroom - David Mendoza

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Letterpress - David Springs

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • Needs parts should be ordered tonight

Todo Jai order parts

Garden - Sean Sandefur

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd & 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • Garden had meeting.

IT - Tom Bloom

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Inventory - Anna DiSalvo/Wallis Mead

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 6pm)
  • Had a meeting, nobody showed, will meet next month

Membership (and Community Outreach) - Jai

Membership as of 2021-01-13: 427 (plus 2 donors)

  • 6 new members, 2 returning at the last orientation

Outreach (and Education) - LaDeana Dockery

  • See Classroom above.

Scholarships - x

  • Per July decision will be handled by Finance.

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman/David Springs

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • Nothing new (Good!)
  • UPS going off in the Security office.

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - x

  • See Events

Welcome Center - Angel

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Other Items Discussed

Past Events

  • Makerspace Clean up day

Upcoming Events

  • Maker Monday
    • 2nd and 4th Mondays
  • Member Orientation
  • ECO Fest
    • Has been postponed to May 1st, 2022
  • Open House (some point , possibly March)

Decision Summary

    Task Summary