October 21 2021

From MakeICT Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Contents

AGENDA

Attendance

Board Members

  • Jai Chauhan, President
  • Rustin Atkeisson, Vice-President
  • James Lancaster, Secretary
  • Anna DiSalvo, At-Large
  • Beverly Schellenger, Treasurer
  • David Hanson, At-Large
  • Doug Wilson, At-Large
  • Aaron Rivers, At-Large

Absent:

Members

  • Ethan Doak
  • Dean Day
  • Patrick Hutchison
  • Brian Pressnall

Standing Items

  • Thanks & Recognition
    • Christian for helping fix a Badge - Security
    • Joe Birzer, Roy Lyon, Ralph Romig and Domi Revo for installing AC in Ceramics as well as textiles, and are currently working on ERP
    • Christian, Paul, Jessica and others who updated the website links & descriptions

Old Business

Inventory policies - Jai

COVID Mask Policy Discussion / Update - All

  • Last meetings: “From now until the next board meeting the board, in accordance with CDC guidelines, MakeICT is requesting mask wearing while in the makerspace, and a mask requirement for indoor group activities and classes. Signs will be posted as reminders.”
  • Aaron motions to continue policy, Jai seconds

Vote: 7 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention (president doesn’t vote unless tie)

  • @DECISION: Continue CDC guidelines and request mask wearing at the makerspace, and require it for indoor group activities and classes.

Pursuing Nomcon conference in Wichita - Malissa

  • Last meeting: Will establish an ad-hoc committee at membership meeting later in the month assuming they are.
    • Wasn't done at membership meeting
    • Visit Wichita reached out, and because Kansas is on California’s travel ban, it’s unlikely that NomCon would select us, no matter how good. Until they hear back, suspending any work on getting it. Bids were for 2022 or 2023.
    • Can’t travel with state money, or represent California.
    • October 29th deadline.

Name alignment between various locations - Jai

  • Not much done. Form that we can fill out hasn't been done yet, to see about any ramifications.
  • Banks haven’t changed yet.
  • IRS doesn’t need to be changed.

Committee Leads - James

  • Per policy Committees https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/Committees should vote on recommendations to the board for this meeting.
  • To quote from the policy: "Each Committee shall select by vote a recommended Committee Chairperson and shall vote for a Committee Chairperson prior to the September Board Meeting each year, so that the recommendation may be presented to the Board. The Board shall appoint the Chairperson for each Committee, taking into consideration the recommendation of the Committee."
  • At last meeting, the following was approved: For this year, this be delayed a month, and that be done at committee meetings before the October board meeting, result submitted by the 19th, (along with signups in cases of no meeting/no lead) and committee leads appointed at the next meeting instead of this one, leaving all existing leads as is until then.
  • Suggested by committee only 4 positions
    • Gardening Committee - Sean Sandefur
    • Inventory - Anna D
    • Membership - Jai
    • Donor Wall - Jai (Only one attending)
  • Discussion of committee overview
    • Possibly merging committees to lower number of meetings.
  • Aaron proposes that we adopt Sean Sandefur as the Garden Committee Chairperson and Anna DiSalvo as the Inventory Committee Chairperson, and re-elect all standing committee chairpersons where no proposed change has been offered. (2nd by Doug Wilson)

Vote: 7 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention (not a tie)

  • @DECISION: Current chair people continue, except for the suggestion of one committee.

New Business

Treasurer’s Report - Bev

Request for member meetings to be set in advance - Malissa

Jai proposes the next quarterly meeting to be Sunday December 19th, 5pm and that we would set the next quarterly meeting for 2022 at that time. Vote: 7 ayes, 0 opposed, 1 abstention as it’s not a tie. @DECISION: Board votes to set the date for the next quarterly meeting to Sunday December 19th at 5pm @TODO (James, no date): Add Quarterly Meeting to calendar

Request for using the space - Brian

  • Per forum: https://talk.makeict.org/t/board-meeting-online-october-21-2021-7-pm/13440/3
  • Would Make ICT consider allowing the United Way and Vita volunteers to use an open classroom a couple of days a week to provide this service to the neighborhood? It’s still early for a decision on whether this location is desirable or needed but I thought I would ask for the boards preliminary consideration only. If selected and offered, the room would be needed from about Feb 1 thru about April 15 2022. Downsides could be parking, snow, access, janitorial issues, security. Upsides could be PR and added membership and being a good neighbor. Offered for brainstorming only at this point. Thanks.
  • 9am - 3pm/4pm classroom, reception table. May or may not be members involved. Couple of days a week, like Tuesday/Thursday.
  • They would be handling reception.
  • All Generally in favor.

@TODO (Jai, no date): Jai will talk to Insurance & Security


Area Reports

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Bu-tHWpnGnYCv7cnJ8pdlFdUQWtE_j8KX6Fb-t9hqY/edit

Ceramics - Patrick

  • Very happy to report that the first of our air conditioners has been installed and is up and running. I have purchased a kill-a-watt meter and will track actual power draw and report on the cost of operating the unit. I’ll also check each of the other units so we have actual full load power draw info.
  • Michelle’s ‘Creature Feature’ classes are going well, though with low attendance. She is going to continue offering those and perhaps some more. Scott is going to start offering some intro to the wheel classes, and we hope to have one of our prior regular instructors back soon as well.
  • The kiln will be in need of new elements in the next month or so. Elements last for 100-200 firings. We replaced the elements in October 2018 and we’ve conducted just shy of 190 firings, so we’re where we would expect to be. The cost is about $350.
    • Jai proposes to buy replacement, Aaron seconds.

Vote: 7 aye, 0 opposed, 1 abstention as it’s not a tie. @DECISION: Authorize buying/installation of the Kiln elements

Committee Reports

Awards Committee - Jai

  • Donor wall is coming, hoping to present a design in November
  • Scope: not only recognize donors, but show fundraising progress

Classroom Management Committee - LaDeana Dockery

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd and 4th Thursday @ 8pm)

Communications (and Wikibrarian) - Malissa Long

Events Committee - X

  • See above (Classroom Management Committee)

Facilities Committee - Ralph Romig

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Finance Committee - Dan Kries

  • 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30
  • Looking into shutting down a gofundme.
  • Motion Give James Lancaster, permission to access and research emails and other communications which may shed light on the disposition of the gofundme campaign.

Aye: 6 ayes, 0 opposed, 2 abstentions (Likely in old forum emails, didn’t want to go poking around without board approval.) @TODO (James Lancaster, no date): {{{what}}}

Forge Committee - James Seymour/Mike Atherton

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 7pm)

Fundraising - Ethan Doak

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 1st Friday @ 7pm)
  • Last meeting 1 October 2021
    • Very quick meeting, mostly just decided when to do the fundraising grant application meeting
    • Wichita Wagonmaster’s application submitted.

Lounge/Breakroom - David Mendoza

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Letterpress - David Springs

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Garden - Aaron Rivers

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd & 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • The Garden Committee is proposing the Sean Sandefur be adopted as the new Garden Committee Chair
  • We are brainstorming fundraising efforts
  • Are working to finalize rules for rental plots and garden etiquette
  • Would like to ask permission to install a fire pit
    • Fire pit would be an open flame, would not be a good idea at this time
    • Would welcome a report from the committee if they can find out what the rules are for a commercial space to have a fire pit
  • Are still cooking out on Maker Mondays
  • Would like to install a more permanent power supply for the awning as the extension cord was completely shredded

IT - Tom Bloom

  • CommitteeDidn’t meet.
  • Several people did meet to update the website.

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Inventory - Anna DiSalvo/Wallis Mead

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 6pm)
  • Last meeting 13 October 2021
    • Waiting on feedback from the board meeting for the policies
    • Confusion over dates and such for Committee Open House.
    • Committee voted to recommend Anna continue to be chairperson.
    • Possible suggestions to changes for committees as a whole, possibly not having meetings, but either an email list or a semi-open (to membership) forum.
      • This is not yet a request, and would need to change the policy via the board.
    • Room 4 cleanup will be worked on, but probably after (depending on date) the open house.)
    • Committee Open House 10am-12pm November 6th 2021
      • discussed

Membership (and Community Outreach) - Paula Pankratz/Steve Owens

  • Membership as of 2021-10-21: 412 (plus 2 donors)
  • Continued good attendance at Maker Mondays. 10 attendees 10.11.21 at 2 sessions. There is room for improvement to increase numbers. Most areas had leads in attendance. This is Excellent and Appreciated.

Membership Challenge: Keep ahead of attrition rates and continue to build membership.

  • There have been several events where brochures were distributed. 500 trifold and 100 business cards. Another 500 Business cards were ordered. THANK YOU to events for staffing. Events grow awareness of MakeICT as a community resource

We saw 2 in attendance at Maker Monday from Comic con and 2 from the Renaissance Faire.

  • Jai will continue to post on community calendars (KMEW, Wichita on the Cheap).
  • Ask Communications to continue posting on FB, Instagram, Twitter, and TickTock re: Maker Monday
  • As the Web site is the first source of info., an analysis of searches of our Web site would be helpful. What are the higher traffic searches. How are people moving through the site? Where are efficiencies needed?
  • Look at Google searches.
  • Brad and Jessica will work on signage outside of labs and at the North entrance.
  • Angel will follow up with new members to see if needs are being met and answer questions.
  • Jai has taken the lead of the Membership Committee.

Outreach (and Education) - LaDeana Dockery

  • See Classroom above.

Scholarships - x

  • Per July decision will be handled by Finance.

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman/David Springs

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 4th Monday @ 6pm)
  • Last meeting 9/27
    • Discussed alarm and camera expansions, assigned orientation coverage.

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - x

  • See Events

Welcome Center - Angel

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

Other Items Discussed

  • New Cards printed
  • Local Youtube personalities to reach out to?

Past Events

  • 'Membership meeting'
    • Sept 30th
  • Wichita Festival for the Arts
    • Sept 18th
  • Ren Faire
    • Sept 25-26th
  • National Drive Electric Week ICT
    • Oct 2nd

Upcoming Events

  • Maker Monday
    • 2nd and 4th Mondays
  • Member Orientation
  • Halloween Party
    • October 29th, 18:30 – 21:00 at MakeICT
    • BRING A PUMPKIN 🎃
  • Committee Open House
    • November 6th 2021, 10am-12pm at MakeICT
  • ECO Fest
    • Has been postponed to May 1st, 2022

Decision Summary

    Task Summary