October 20th 2022

From MakeICT Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Board Members

  • Rustin Atkeisson, President
  • Sherry Ibrahim, Vice President
  • Ethan Doak, Secretary
  • Aaron Rivers, At-Large
  • James Lancaster, At-Large
  • LaDeana Dockery, At-Large
  • Doug Wilson, At-Large
  • Gary Titus, Treasurer
  • Jai Chauhan, Immediate-past President


  • Mike Barushok
  • Michael Atherton
  • David Springs
  • Ernie Kind

Standing Items

  • Thanks & Recognition
    • Shaun Sigley and Rustin for representing MakeICT at National Drive Electric Week
    • Sherry and Rustin for representing MakeICT at the Muse Meridian SteamPunk Carnival
    • LaDeana and Malissa for representing MakeICT at the Wichita Public Library Tech Day
    • Sarah D., Ethan D., Aaron, Sherry, Kim Nguyen, Gretchen Koch, Michael Atherton, Cas, Willow, Katie C., Dean Day, Patrick H., David H., Malissa, LaDeana, Ben Rogers, Ernie K, Jessica W, and Matthew Cleary for all of their help and hard work with the renaissance festival!
    • Aaron, Ernie, Rustin, Dave Miller for putting up the Gallery Wall
    • Jacob Dipietro and Matthew Cleary for creating a relationship with Wichita Board Game Group and adding MakeICT as an official meeting spot
    • Kim Burton and the middle school volunteer effort.
    • Gary Titus for all of his efforts getting the books ready for tax season

Old Business

AED purchase

AED was purchased!

COVID Mask Policy Discussion / Update - All


    • Letterpress - working on it as of 7/21, will have it done before the 1st class
    • First class on 10/26

Descrimination and Harassment Policy/Committee

  • Next Meeting Tuesday Nov 1st
  • Met Oct 18 and Jessica accepted a vice-chair possession
  • committee is continuing to explore options for a policy
  • They looked over Shana Chivon's proposal. The committee is interested in the a la carte option initially, and Sherry will see if she can attend the next meeting in 2 weeks.

Bento swap

  • The treasurer has requested we stay with Bento for cards
  • Cards for other areas are on their way
  • The motion from the last meeting mentioned that we would only move forward if it did not mean we lost functionality. We would lose functionality with Emprise (the ability to scan in receipts easily), so this move has been canceled.

Previous Motion: “Doug moves we shift from Bento cards to providing Emprise cards to those with funding privileges, pending no loss of functionality”

Muse Meridian

  • We attended their steampunk carnival! Working with them to learn more about artist grants.

Name change/fix?

Necessary changes to the name change have been completed!

New Business

Virtual vs In-Person Board Meetings

  • Ethan would like to standardize what we do for future board meetings.
  • Option 1: We continue the “mostly virtual” with a maximum of 3-4 board members in-person. This allows easy AV setup (no live editing) because everyone can be right-up-next to a mic.
  • Option 2: We go all in-person and give James a microphone and speakers.
    • Revisit after the holiday season
    • Will be going with Opt1 for the foreseeable future

Treasurer’s Report - Gary

    • TLDR: We don’t have a Treasurer's report
    • Gary spent most of this afternoon with Liz (our accountant(Tax Filer)
    • Liz looked at the books and wasn’t too happy with what she was seeing
    • Things were miscategorized and caused the PNL (Profit and Loss) Statements to look funny
    • Leads spending money without Treasurers’ input is a “no-no”
    • Bento was reconciled to the bank account but not to receipts
    • Bento cards based on the opinion of Gary and Liz should go away in favor of area leads and others who spend money should buy the item, and then turn in a receipt for reimbursement.
    • receipts are a necessity from Liz and Gary’s perspective.
    • James and the others mentioned discussed consolidation between Wild Apricot and Quickbooks (we need a new way to track locker fees)
    • All fundraising needs to come through the treasurer
    • Receipts for ~6 months are missing that are needed for fund categorization
    • Better Treasurer's report coming next month
    • Discussion about a professional bookkeeper, Gary’s opinion is that we clean up the books before we get in a professional bookkeeper.
    • Liz should have a cleaned-up version of the books next week
    • Sherry feels we pester leads and if needed, turn off Bento cards if they don’t turn in receipts. James, David, and Gary agreed. James felt like they should have receipts turned in within 1 week.

The issue with the IRS Goes back to our founding, the IRS felt like the first 3-4 years of filing were incorrect and proposed a fine of $7,000. Liz filed everything needed to address that, but she has been waiting for 1+ year for a decision from the IRS. They said with Covid it will take a long time.

Sherry moves we approve whatever time the Treasurer feels needed to have the books fixed. Some discussion about if we need a motion or if this is a “cost of doing business” and thus doesn’t require a motion. James seconds the motion. Motion carries by acclamation

September Minutes Approval

  • Gary moves we approve the minutes
  • LaDeana seconds
  • Motion carries by acclamation

December 3rd Event Monetary Request

  • The 10 Year Anniversary team would like to request the board for $300 to spend on a band for the event.
  • Pending further quotes for things like food, decorations, special guest speakers.|
  • Further discussion at the Finance committee meeting about the cost of catering food.
  • Aaron thinks rather than catering food we do a potluck
  • Most catering in Wichita would be $12-15/meal.
  • The finance committee expressed interest in polling the membership to see who would be interested in attending
  • 40 for non-members, or $30 for members.
  • Potentially lowering the vendor fee to $30 for non-members and $20 for members. (possibly 18 vendors in room 4, possibly use room 3 as well)

Aaron moves we approve spending $300 for the band. Ethan seconds Motion carries by acclamation

Committee Chairperson election

  • Currently lead by the following people:
    • Security - David Springs
    • IT - Open for a committee lead
    • Membership Committee - Jai Chauhan
    • Communication - Sherry Ibrahim
    • Community - ?? - Board moves to formally shut down the Community Committee
    • Finance - Finance Committee has appointed the Treasurer, Gary Titus as Chair and Dan Kreis as Vice Chair.
    • Fundraising - Ethan Doak
    • Classroom - LaDeana Dockery
    • Inventory and Procurement - Ben Rogers
    • Discrimination and Harassment Policy (ad hoc) - Sherry Ibrahim
    • Long Term Planning (ad hoc) - LaDeana Dockery
    • Garden - Sean Sanderfur
    • Visual Arts - Kim Nguyen
    • Gallery - Ernie Kind

In the last meeting, Ethan moved we approve the recommended chairpeople for Multimedia - James Lancaster Facilities - Joe Birzer Sherry Seconds Passes by acclamation

Aaron moves to adopt the slate as listed, while shutting down the community committee, and leaving the IT committee position unfilled. Rustin Seconds Motion carries by acclamation

Visual Arts Area Formation

  • Michael Atherton, on behalf of the Visual Arts Committee requests for Visual Arts Committee to be allocated the North half of classroom one (closer to the closet) and to be reformed into the Visual Arts Area with Kim Nguyen as interim area lead until area leads are voted on this year.
  • The visual arts committee was formed last meeting with Kim Nguyen as chairperson.
  • Lots of donations were given for equipment for visual arts, including a full airbrush setup, as well as ‘full-blown’ darkroom which the committee does not have a space for. They would like to expand out and start doing more classes, and would like a dedicated space where they can do those classes.

Ethan moves that we dissolve the Visual Arts Committee, and create the Visual Arts Area with Kim as an interim lead, and allocate that area the North half of classroom 1. LaDeana Seconds Motion carries by acclamation

Gallery Area New Interim Area Lead

  • The Gallery committee was formed in a previous meeting chaired by Ernie Kind
  • The Gallery committee would like to be recognized as an area formally by the board
  • Ernie would like to be instated as Interim Area Lead.
  • The Committee will stay formed to determine the art that is displayed in the gallery. And how it is displayed

Gallery Committee(Area) Would like one set of the wooden cabinets in the south side of Room 4.

  • The classroom committee will work with the Gallery committee to loan them the storage space they need in room 4.
  • Ernie would like to make sure the Gallery Committee and Gallery Area stay separate entities.

Aaron moves we create the Gallery Area with Ernie as chairperson, and re-assign the space outside of Room 4 from the Gallery Committee to said Area. Ethan seconds Motion carries by acclimation

Area/Committee Name Alignment

  • Need to clarify or propose a policy that makes it clear about what is an Area and what is a Committee
  • Will be brought up for the next board meeting
  • James Lancaster is working on the policy, please contact him by email or forum to help.

Collecting Demographic information

LaDeana on behalf of the fundraising committee would like to request the board to request the IT committee to add the Following Fields to wild apricot Gender (four options, Male, Female, Nonbinary, Prefer to self-describe, Prefer not to answer) Race and Ethnicity (Needs definitions?) Socioeconomic Status

With any option, we’d like the data be collected after the member has gone through orientation and when they are printing their badge.

Options for gathering this info: 1. We can put it in Wild Apricot, unhashed/not anonymized. Anyone who has access to Wild Apricot could view the information. This would be pretty easy technically 2. Survey that would be sent out to the members. (yearly) Could be anonymous, fields we could collect would be greater. 3. Custom solutions could include hashed (anonymized/only accessed one-way, someone could ask us to edit their entry, but one could not find a member based on their information. An external website, they log in with Wild Apricot (like with the event creator) this would create a reversible, keyed hash. Then that application could decode that.

Aaron moves we move forward with option 1 mentioned before, we ask the IT committee to work out a way to collect the above demographic information at the time of badge printing, as well as whenever a member would like to update their information by whatever means IT deems most reasonable. Specifically not anonymous. Gary Seconds 7 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 not voting Motion Carries,

Jai moves we create and distribute amongst the members of MakeICT an anonymous poll seeking the demographic information required for the ARPA grant application on or before November 4th. Ethan seconds James will create that poll before/after the Room 2 Cleanup on Saturday. Motion carries by acclimation

Fundraising will write the preamble for the poll email.

Membership met last night to discuss the collecting of demographic information on Wild Apricot. We started with some assumptions:

  • the need for this information is to satisfy grant applications that require demographics of our membership population
  • potential members would be asked to provide us with demographics (race and gender) when creating their membership profiles
  • some method would be devised to obtain this information from our existing membership population
  • answering demographics questions on the member profile would be optional
  • We believe that asking members, potential and existing, to associate their accounts directly with information regarding their race or gender is not a good idea because:

Collecting this information from a potential member may give them pause. Gender identity and race are highly charged identifiers, therefore without a full explanation of the need for the information we may inadvertently create a situation at the creation of a membership profile, which is also a membership application, in which we have presented an additional burden on the person joining. To ask the question at the creation of a membership naturally leads to the question, “Why do you want to know?” to which even a good answer can be regarded with suspicion as it also leads to the question, “Will this information affect my candidacy for membership?”.

We do not currently tie gender identity or race identity to our application for membership. This adds a layer of protection from bias in our membership decisions. If these check boxes for race and gender identity are present on the profile, which again is the same for us as an application, then one can argue that they were part of the consideration in accepting or denying that person a place in our organization. We feel that ultimately we are better off with as little personally identifying demographic information as possible.

Compliance would remain low because the demographics are directly tied to a profile and optional

We would like to propose a different method for satisfying the grant application needs. An anonymous aggregated poll of our membership through the polling function on Wild Apricot. We can still collect the aggregate data necessary but without directly attributing race or gender identity to any single member. An anonymous poll will give us an understanding of our demographic makeup as a whole and may have the added advantage of greater immediate willingness to share gender and race identity with us, though all questions on the poll would remain optional to answer. Anonymous polling will also allow us to explain in depth at the outset why we need this information and how we will use this information while not being able to attribute said information to any individual.

Membership Committee hopes that you will take these issues into consideration.

Thank you on behalf of the committee,


  • We should include a note about why we need this information.

Donor Wall and Awards

  • The donor wall will become a part of the Fundraising committee, they will work on creating it and honoring donors to the space. The fundraising committee will look into the existence of the Donor wall and Awards Committee.

Committee Reports

Committees should consider their chairpeople in the next month before the election in September.

Classroom Management Committee - LaDeana Dockery

Communications - Sherry Ibrahim

  • Meetings:
    • Recurring: 4th Wednesday @ 8pm

Events Committee - X

  • See above (Classroom Management Committee)

Facilities Committee - Saga Romig

  • On Calendar Tuesday 6:30

Finance Committee - Dan Kries

  • 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30
  • Usually meet in Room 3 or the lounge (whichever is cooler)

Fundraising - Ethan Doak

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Thursday @ 7pm)

Letterpress - David

  • Jai and David have discussed getting a Bento card for Letterpress (also need to look at setting up a card for Events committee, and garden committee)

Lounge/Breakroom - David Mendoza

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • Suggested to see if people want to take over this.

Garden - Sean Sandefur

IT - Tom Bloom

  • Next meeting ?

Inventory - Anna DiSalvo/Wallis Mead

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 6pm)

Membership (and Community Outreach) - Jai

Membership as of 2022-04-14: 467 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-04-21: 466 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-05-12: 462 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-06-16: 459 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-07-21: 457 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-08-18: 456 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-09-18: 445 (plus 2 donors) Membership as of 2022-10-22: 452 (plus 2 donors)

  • next meeting Monday Sept

Outreach (and Education) - LaDeana Dockery

  • See Classroom above.

Scholarships - x

  • As per committee policy: No meeting for a while, will need to be reviewed in August.

Security (and Safety) - Ken Steadman/David Springs

  • are working on a proposal to update and upgrade the security cameras

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - x

  • See events

Welcome Center -

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • As per committee policy: No meeting for a while, will need to be reviewed 1 months/meetings from now.

Other Items Discussed

Past Events

Upcoming Events

  • Maker Monday
    • 2nd and 4th Mondays
  • Breakfast with the board
  • November 12th 9am
  • Rock Rd Village Inn
  • Member Orientation
    • Tuesday September 20th @ 6pm
    • Saturday October 8th @2:30pm
    • Tuesday October 18th @ 6pm

Decision Summary

    Task Summary

      Ethan moves we adjourn LaDeana Seconds Motion carries by acclimation