January 19th 2023

From MakeICT Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Board Members

  • Rustin Atkeisson, President
  • James Lancaster, At-Large
  • LaDeana Dockery, At-Large
  • Gary Titus, Treasurer
  • Sherry Ibrahim, Vice President
  • Aaron Rivers, At-Large
  • Doug Wilson, At-Large


  • Ethan Doak, Secretary


  • Bill Youngers
  • Gaye Caine
  • Ben Rogers
  • Mike Barushok

Standing Items

  • Thanks & Recognition
  • Joe Birzer, Wes Timmerman, Rustin Atkeisson for taking care of the floor in ceramics
  • Gaye Caine, Bill Youngers, Madison Degrandmont, Paula Pankratz, Jordan, Steve Owens, Nicole’s dad Tony, Jesse Schlenker (woodshop lead),,Ben Rogers for helping to paint and move everything in ceramics
  • All of the new leads for taking on 2023 in areas and committees

Old Business

Collecting Demographic information

    • Demographics survey complete
    • Hopefully tonight should have financial info to go for grants

Wichita Virtual School (USD 259) Education Imagine Academy

  • USD 259 was too busy in January, but will be in February and April
  • The plan was to start January 17th, 18th, and 19th. Noon - 2 pm.
  • LaDeana, James, Malissa, and Sherry will all be helping.
  • They will bring 1 adult per 5 children, so lots of additional help.
  • Further help may be required if authorization is needed in areas the above people are not authorized in.
  • For now at least, the students and teachers will be guests of some of the 4 MakeICT Members mentioned above, depending on who is able to help on a specific day.
  • Some consideration needs to be given to a cancellation policy if one of the 4 MakeICT Members above are unable to make one day.

Surplus Auction

  • Is in the works
  • Jesse Shlenker is leading up the effort to get items photographed and ready for the auction.
  • Ben Rogers is helping to check inventory to be sold
  • Records will be kept of what is sold and for how much

Wichita Art Council - Art Mixer

  • Wichita Art council wants to have an art mixer at MakeICT
  • Scheduled for the 2nd thursday of February (Feb 9th)
  • Malissa Long is the main contact
  • Possibly use room 4 and turn into a potluck

COVID Mask Policy Discussion / Update - All


New Business

Treasurer’s Report - Gary

  • Came out a few hundred in the positive due to the extra expense of taxes

2023 Budget Review

  • Area budgets have been submitted
  • Need to review and approve an operating budget for 2023
  • Aaron proposes amending budget to change garden budget from $375 to $2000
  • 2nd Sherry
  • Motion passes (5 in support, 1 against)
  • Gary proposes approving budget with amendment for 2023 fiscal year
    • 2nd by Doug
    • Motion passes (6 support)
  • Approved budget to be stored on the MakeICT drive and made available upon request

Minutes Approval

2023 Orientation Support

To help alleviate some of the last minute hunting for key form signatures, membership would like for area leads and board members to consider agreeing to being at the orientations either during board meetings or during area lead meetings for the following 2 orientation sessions. Members of the membership committee will still run the orientations.

Next Orientations:

    • Saturday February 11th @2:30pm - Rustin Atkeisson and LaDeana Dockery
    • Tuesday February 21st @ 6pm -Doug WIlson and Aaron Rivers
    • Saturday March 11th @2:30pm - Rustin Atkeisson, Sherry Ibrahim and LaDeana Dockery
    • Tuesday March 21st @ 6pm - Doug Wilson, Sherry Ibrahim and Aaron Rivers
    • Saturday April 8th @2:30pm Rustin Atkeisson, Sherry Ibrahim and LaDeana Dockery
    • Tuesday April 18th @ 6pm - Doug Wilson, Sherry Ibrahim and Aaron Rivers
    • Saturday May 6th @2:30pm - Rustin Atkeisson and LaDeana Dockery
    • Tuesday May 16th @ 6pm -Doug Wilson and Aaron Rivers
    • Saturday June 10th @2:30pm - Rustin Atkeisson and LaDeana Dockery
    • Tuesday June 20th @ 6pm - Doug Wilson and Aaron Rivers

Makerfest Market March 25 (11am-3pm)

  • Meeting tomorrow at 6pm

From Malissa Long: I will not make it this morning please find the Contracts attached for both indoor and outdoor events. @Classroom_Management has created fill-in-the-blank contracts . We ask that all items highlighted in yellow will be editable for future use without having to go through broad approval.

Indoor only Indoor Vendor agreement - Google Docs 1 (***needs link added)

Outdoor only (***needs link added)

indoor and outdoor (***needs link added)

  • Rustin moves that we approve the use of the indoor/outdoor vendor agreement for the March 25th event vendor event given that the highlighted items are updated with the date, time, location, and name of the event.
  • 2nd by Aaron Rivers
  • Motion approved by acclamation

We request a budget of $225 to cover permitting cost of the 15 outdoor spaces or more depending on how many vendors can fit in the MakeICT large outdoor tent. Those dollars will be re-cooped in vendor fees collected for the event. Booth fee last year for Maker May in June was $40 and for members only Intent is to have the event open to the public. December 3rd Founders day was $20 for members and $30 for non-members

  • During December event, room 4 saw more traffic than room 3
  • Need to consider expense for signage (road way signs as well as bathroom signs and guide signs)
  • Can comfortably fit 7 vendors under the 18x27 tent
  • James proposes that we amend the budget to include the $225 for the event and approve the expense for permitting, and the vendor cost be set by the committee.
    • 2nd LaDeana Dockery
    • Motion passes by acclamation
    • Bill and Malissa to coordinate with Gary before posting the event and collecting any funds for the event

MakerFair - Exploration Place

  • Would like to publicly state that MakeICT supports Exploration Place and the Advanced Learning Library in this endeavor.
  • Malissa is involved with the meetings to get the event going
  • Rustin Atkeisson will be attending the next meeting as well as Dean Day
  • They have been reaching out to past vendors, and Rustin has offered to help track down any MakeICT vendors that they are unable to get a hold of.

Hoheisel’s invitation to join and help Cure Violence Global

  • The Cure VIolence Global initiative would help District I and III
  • The initiative does not exactly line up with what we would be able to support at MakeICT
  • Rustin Atkeisson plans on attending the Jan 23rd meeting to find out how the city would like MakeICT to support this initiative

Garden Plot Rental Agreement

  • Garden plots to be rented out to members only this year
  • 2023 MakeICT Garden Plot Rental Agreement
  • Gary requests of addition of signatures to the form
  • James states that a digital signature can be added with WildApricot
  • Rustin moves to approve Garden Plot Rental Agreement
  • James 2nds
  • Motion passes by acclamation

Formation of Bee Committee Limit - Bee Kind Committee

  • There are more than 5 people interested in learning more about bees that would like to form a committee.
  • Description: educate members on bees, put on classes on bee keeping, share resources and potentially store a honey spinner for everyone to share.
  • Current Members:
    • Ben Rogers (chair person)
    • Jesse Schlenker (vice chair person)
    • April Schlenker
    • Sam Speer
    • ‘Bee’ Bridget Wherrell
    • Bee's partner
    • Janice
    • Rob.
  • Jesse Chapman (potential new member) is an expert bee keeper who is helping us get started and teaching classes for us. (local business owner and most likely the first instructor)
  • Live bees are not to be left loose at the space
  • Potentially go on field trips to visit local hives
  • Committee to coordinate with LaDeana on where to store a honey spinner
  • Doug Wilson motions to approve the committee as stated
    • 2nd by LaDeana
    • Passes by acclamation

Executive session - request for a reduced membership

Rustin moves that we approve a reduced membership fee on a monthly basis for up to 6 months to a member. The member can reapply for the reduced rate in 6 months (July 2023). Member would have to pay in cash monthly to avoid the auto renewal problems in Wild Apricot. 2nd by Gary

  • Passes by acclamation

Committee Reports

Classroom Management Committee - LaDeana Dockery

Communications - Sherry Ibrahim

  • Meetings:
    • Recurring: 4th Wednesday @ 8pm primarily online

Events Committee - X

  • See above (Classroom Management Committee)

Facilities Committee - Joe Birzer

  • On Calendar Tuesday 6:30

Finance Committee - Gary Titus

  • 3rd Monday of the month at 6:30
  • Usually meet in Room 3 or the lounge (whichever is cooler)

Fundraising - Ethan Doak

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Thursday @ 7pm)

Letterpress - Doug Wilson

Lounge/Breakroom - Ben Rogers

Garden - Sherry Ibrahim

  • planning meeting held in January
  • February meeting on the calendar

IT - James Lancaster

  • Next meeting ?

Inventory - Ben Rogers

  • Next meeting on calendar (Standard schedule: every 2nd Wednesday @ 6pm)
  • Ceramics has already completed their area inventory update

Membership (and Community Outreach) -

Membership as of 2022-04-14: 467 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-04-21: 466 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-05-12: 462 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-06-16: 459 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-07-21: 457 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-08-18: 456 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-09-18: 445 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-10-22: 452 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-11-17: 448 (plus 2 donors)

Membership as of 2022-12-15:

Membership as of 2023-01-19:

  • next meeting Monday January

Outreach (and Education) - LaDeana Dockery

  • See Classroom above.

Security (and Safety) - Rustin Atkeisson

  • are working on a proposal to update and upgrade the security cameras

Special Projects (and Makerfaire) - x

  • See events

Welcome Center - Ben

Next meeting not on calendar: When?

  • As per committee policy: No meeting for a while, will need to be reviewed 1 months/meetings from now.

Other Items Discussed

Past Events

Upcoming Events

  • Maker Monday
    • 2nd and 4th Mondays
  • Breakfast with the board
  • February 11th 2023
  • 9am
  • Member Orientation
    • Saturday February 11th @2:30pm
    • Tuesday February 21st @ 6pm

2023 Board Meetings

Decision Summary

    Task Summary